Federal Ministry of Environment
Establishment of the National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency (NESREA)
Federal Ministry Of Environment, Housing And Urban
Telephone: 09 6712537, 09 6721603
To ensure a Nigeria that develops in harmony with the environment
To ensure the environmental protection and natural resource conservation and management for sustainable development
MANDATE OF THE MINISTRY
The primary mandate of the Ministry is to achieve environmental objectives as enunciated in section 20 of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. The main responsibility of the Ministry is "to protect and improve water, air, land, forest and wildlife of Nigeria". The immediate policy thrust of the Ministry is guided by the environmental agenda of this administration called, Environmental renewal and Development Initiative (ERDI). The primary objectives of the ERDI are to take full inventory of our natural resources, assess the level of environmental damage and design and implement restoration and rejuvenation measures; and to evolve and implement additional measures to halt further degradation of our environment. The broad responsibility to the Ministry as elaborated in the National Policy on Environment is to coordinate environmental protection and natural resources conservation for sustainable development, and specifically:
Secure a quality of environment adequate for good health and well-being;
Conserve and use the environment and natural resources for the benefit of present and future generations;
Restore, maintain and enhance the Ecosystems and Ecological processes essential for the functioning of the biosphere so as to preserve biological diversity and the principle of optimum sustainable yield in the use of living natural resources and ecosystem;
Raise public awareness and promote understanding of the essential linkages between the environment and development and encourage individual and community participation in environmental improvement efforts; and
Co-operate in good faith with other countries, international organizations and agencies to achieve optimal use of trans-boundary natural resources and effective prevention or abatement of trans -boundary environment degradation.
National Parks Services
Forestry Research Institute of Nigeria
National Oil Spill Detection and Response Agency
This policy contains information about your privacy. By posting, you are declaring that you understand this policy:
- Your name, rating, website address, town, country, state and comment will be publicly displayed if entered.
- Aside from the data entered into these form fields, other stored data about your comment will include:
- Your IP address (not displayed)
- The time/date of your submission (displayed)
- Your email address will not be shared. It is collected for only two reasons:
- Administrative purposes, should a need to contact you arise.
- To inform you of new comments, should you subscribe to receive notifications.
- A cookie may be set on your computer. This is used to remember your inputs. It will expire by itself.
This policy is subject to change at any time and without notice.
These terms and conditions contain rules about posting comments. By submitting a comment, you are declaring that you agree with these rules:
- Although the administrator will attempt to moderate comments, it is impossible for every comment to have been moderated at any given time.
- You acknowledge that all comments express the views and opinions of the original author and not those of the administrator.
- You agree not to post any material which is knowingly false, obscene, hateful, threatening, harassing or invasive of a person's privacy.
- The administrator has the right to edit, move or remove any comment for any reason and without notice.
Failure to comply with these rules may result in being banned from further commenting.
These terms and conditions are subject to change at any time and without notice.