“Enough Is Enough!” – Nigerian Govt Reacts To Xenophobic Attacks On Its Citizens In S’Africa
Nigerian Government has reacted to the recent Xenophobic attacks on Nigerians residing in South Africa, saying it will take further steps to ensure the safety and protection of its citizens in the xenophobic country.
KanyiDaily had earlier reported how properties of foreigners, especially Nigerians were being looted following an outbreak of fresh xenophobic attacks in the Jeppestown area of Johannesburg in South Africa.
President of the Nigeria Union South Africa, Adetola Olubajo, had said that the recent attacks began last week after a taxi driver was murdered by an alleged drug dealer in Pretoria.
Properties including cars which belong to Nigerians in the country, were set on fire by South Africans. Shops belonging to Nigerians were also looted by South Africans as captured in a viral video.
Last week Pres @MBuhari met with Pres @CyrilRamaphosa, on sidelines of #TICAD7, in Japan, to discuss this. Further discussions scheduled for October 2019, during Pres Buhari’s official visit to SA. In the meantime Nigeria will take further steps to ensure safety of citizens in SA
The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama said the Federal Government would take “definitive measures” over the xenophobic attacks.
He was, however, silent on the measures that would be taken over the increasing violence against Nigerians and other foreigners in the country.
Onyeama, who described the attackers as mindless criminals, noting that the police intervention was ineffective. He said:
“Received sickening and depressing news of continued burning and looting of Nigerian shops and premises in #SouthAfrica by mindless criminals with ineffective police protection. Enough is enough. We will take definitive measures.”
Received sickening and depressing news of continued burning and looting of Nigerian shops and premises in #SouthAfrica by mindless criminals with ineffective police protection. Enough is enough. We will take definitive measures. @NigeriaGov @DigiCommsNG @GovernmentZA @DIRCO_ZA
— Geoffrey Onyeama (@GeoffreyOnyeama) September 2, 2019
Also condemning the incident, the Chairman, Nigerians in the Diaspora Commission, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, said there might be a need for African Union’s intervention to stop the attacks on foreigners in South Africa.
Dabiri-Erewa said while she could not verify most of the videos of the attacks, the decisions that needed to be taken could only be taken at the ministerial level. She said:
“Sad, Reports from South Africa attacking foreigners. I can’t verify most of the videos. However, whatever decisions to be taken now can only be at the Ministerial level. AU intervention may be crucial. This is not what we should be doing to ourselves as Africans.”
Sad, Reports from South Africa attacking foreigners. I can’t verify most of the videos. However,whatever decisions to be taken now can only be at the Ministerial level. AU intervention may be crucial . This is not what we should be doing to ourselves as Africans
— Abike Dabiri-Erewa (@abikedabiri) September 2, 2019
On the killings in S A, Nigeria thru the Min of Foreign Affairs must make a declaration to allow the FG and dependants of the deceased to access the African Court on Human and Peoples Rights Nb. Flying across continents, reason why been off and on
— Abike Dabiri-Erewa (@abikedabiri) September 3, 2019
The envoy was expected to meet with the minister by 11:00 a.m. on Tuesday.
A senior MFA official, Kimiebi Ebenfa, confirmed the development in a WhatsApp message.
The message read, “I am directed to inform you that the Minister of Foreign Affairs has summoned the High Commissioner of South Africa for a meeting this morning by 11. The meeting was confirmed a few minutes ago.”
You may be interested
Breaking News: Buhari Appointee, Seun Onigbinde Resigns Following Critics By NigeriansWebby - September 16, 2019
Seun Onigbinde, the co-founder of BudgIT, has resigned his appointment as a technical adviser at the ministry of budget and…
Outrage As Women Protesting The Port Harcourt Serial Killings Carry Placard Blaming The VictimsWebby - September 16, 2019
Nigerians on social media are currently condemning female protesters who were seen in viral photos carrying placards that seemed to…
Fulani Herdsmen From Chad, Niger Will Also Benefit From FG’s Livestock Plan – Bauchi GovWebby - September 16, 2019
Governor of Bauchi state, Bala Mohammed said that foreign herdsmen from Chad, Niger and other neighboring countries will benefit from…