President Buhari Suspends Babalakin As UNILAG Pro-Chancellor, Sacks Acting Vice-Chancellor
President Muhammadu Buhari has suspended the Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of Governing Council of University of Lagos (UNILAG), Dr Wale Babalakin (SAN) and the Vice-Chancellor, Professor Oluwatoyin Ogundipe, over the lingering crisis in the institution.
President Buhari asked Ogundipe and Babalakin to recuse themselves from official duties, pending the outcome of the Special Visitation Panel which has Professor Tukur Sa’ad as the Chairman, to look into the crisis rocking UNILAG.
Apart from Professor Tukur Sa’ad, other members of the panel are Barrister Victor Onuoha, Professor Ikenna Onyido, Professor Ekanem Braide, Professor Adamu K. Usman, Chief Jimoh Bankole and Barrister Grace Ekanem (Secretary).
In the statement, Buhari said that the panel will determine whether the required steps were taken by the Council in sacking Ogundipe. The panel is also expected:
– To review the report of the Council committee of review on expenditure of the University of Lagos since May 2017 and make appropriate recommendations after affording all those indicted an opportunity to defend themselves;
– To examine the steps taking by the council leading to the removal of the Vice Chancellor, Professor Oluwatoyin Ogundipe and ascertaining whether due process was followed as stipulated in the Universities (Miscellaneous provisions) (Amendment) Act 2003 and the principle of fair hearing adhered to;
– To determine whether the process(if any) leading to the appointment of the Ag. Vice Chancellor for university was consistent with the provisions of the enabling Act;
– To make appropriate recommendations including sanctions for all those found culpable by special visitation team on the allegations contained in the report as well as other subsequent actions among there from; and
– To make any other recommendations that will assist government to take decisions that will ensure peaceful, stable, effective administration of the university.
The special visitation panel shall be inaugurated by the Honourable Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu at the Honourable Minister’s conference room on Wednesday, 26 August, 2020 at 9am.
You may be interested
BBNaija: I Can’t Stay One Week Without You – Nengi Tells OzoWebby - September 19, 2020
Ozo and Nengi Nengi, a Big Brother Naija housemate, has told her fellow housemate and friend, Ozo that she cannot…
Mysterious Story Of Handsome Oil Worker Who Was Found Dead And N*ked Inside A Hotel In DeltaWebby - September 19, 2020
Tony Ashaka On a beautiful evening of Tuesday, September 2, friends and well-wishers joined Tony Voke Ashaka and his wife…
BBNaija: ‘Your Life Is Over After This Place’ – Vee Vows To Have Intense S*x With Neo After The ShowWebby - September 19, 2020
Vee said this during a conversation with her friend, Laycon, last night, vowing that she would do all the things…