Surgeons Accidentally Set Cancer Patient On Fire During Operation In Romania

January 2, 2020
100 Views

A 66-year-old woman undergoing surgery for pancreatic cancer was accidentally set on fire, when doctors used an alcohol-based disinfectant, resulting to her death.

According to BBC, the unidentified woman died a week after she was seriously burned in the botched procedure, which took place on December 22, 2019.

The woman was undergoing an operation at Floreasca Hospital in Romania when surgeons started using an electric scalpel, and it came in contact with the alcohol, sparking a fire.

she caught on fire and suffered burns to 40% of her body, the BBC says.

She passed away at the hospital Sunday and police are probing her death, Romanian outlets reported.

The woman’s family told local media that hospital officials only informed them that “an accident” had occurred — but never elaborated or explained the “gravity of the situation.”

“We found out some details from the press, when they were broadcast on TV stations,” the family said. “We aren’t making accusations, we just want to understand what happened.”

The country’s health minister, Victor Costache, also pledged to investigate the case, calling it “traumatic.”

“We hope to learn from this troubling episode,” he said in a statement obtained by the BBC. “Both myself and the Ministry of Health team that I coordinate will do everything possible to find out the truth.”

“The surgeons should have been aware that it is prohibited to use an alcohol-based disinfectant during surgical procedures performed with an electric scalpel,” Deputy Health Minister Horatiu Moldovan added.

You may be interested

Anita Joseph releases pre-wedding photos ahead of Valentine’s day wedding
Entertainment
2 views
Entertainment
2 views

Anita Joseph releases pre-wedding photos ahead of Valentine’s day wedding

Webby - January 25, 2020

38 mins ago Latest News 1 Views It is no longer News that controversial actress and mother of one, Anita…

Man Impregnates ‘Mother-in-law’ Who Came To Take Care Of Newborn Baby
News
2 views
News
2 views

Man Impregnates ‘Mother-in-law’ Who Came To Take Care Of Newborn Baby

Webby - January 25, 2020

A woman goes to babysit for her son-in-law. But she ends up carrying, in the deal, two babies for the…

News
2 views

Police to auction scrap vehicles, others

Webby - January 25, 2020

The Cross River State Police Command has expressed its readiness to auction nine scrap vehicles, 37 motorcycles and generators, among…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.