A statement signed by the spokesperson for the Department of State, Morgan Ortagus, on Monday, said the visa restriction was also extended to some individuals due to their conduct in the run up to the September and October 2020 Edo and Ondo state elections.
“In July 2019, we announced the imposition of visa restrictions on Nigerians who undermined the February and March 2019 elections,” the statement partly reads.
“Today, the Secretary of State is imposing additional visa restrictions on individuals for their actions surrounding the November 2019 Kogi and Bayelsa State elections and in the run up to the September and October 2020 Edo and Ondo State elections.
“These individuals have so far operated with impunity at the expense of the Nigerian people and have undermined democratic principles.”
Although the US Government did not reveal the identities of those who have been banned, it said the decision reflects its commitment to strengthening democracy in Nigeria.
“The Department of State emphasises that the actions announced today are specific to certain individuals and not directed at the Nigerian people.
“This decision reflects the Department of State’s commitment to working with the Nigerian government to realise its expressed commitment to end corruption and strengthen democracy, accountability, and respect for human rights,” the statement read.
The US said it remained a steadfast supporter of Nigerian democracy and commended all those Nigerians who participated in elections throughout 2019 and have worked to strengthen democratic institutions and processes.
It condemned the acts of violence, intimidation, or corruption that harmed Nigerians and undermined the democratic process.
“As the Edo and Ondo State off-cycle elections near, we urge all stakeholders, including the Independent National Electoral Commission, the political parties, and the security services, to uphold the tenets of democracy and facilitate genuinely free and fair elections, conducted in an appropriately transparent and non-violent manner,” the US stated.
KanyiDaily recalls that the Comptroller-General of the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) Mohammed Babandede had said that Nigeria may reciprocate the visa restriction imposed on its citizens by the United States and other countries.
You may be interested
Govt links Igboho to Boko Haram sponsor; Kanu to #EndSARS protestsWebby - October 23, 2021
By Eric Ikhilae, Sanni Onogu, Tony Akowe, Nicholas Kalu, Abuja and Bisi Oladele, Ibadan Alleges N273m passed through Igboho’s account…
FG links Igboho to B/Haram fundingWebby - October 23, 2021
‘Linking Yoruba agitator with terrorism financing pedestrian’ We challenge them to name his lawmaker sponsor – Lawyer Govt accuses Kanu of killing…
President Buhari meets Ogoni Leaders, may grant pardon to saro wiwa, othersWebby - October 23, 2021
President Muhammadu Buhari Friday in Abuja urged Ogoni Leaders to sensitize indigenes on value of protecting national assets like pipelines…