<!– Body bags at a funeral home in Wuhan in January. China jacks up death toll for city. Photo:AP –>
China further fuelled suspicions today that it under-reported casualties from its coronavirus epidemic when it jacked up by over a thousand, the death toll for Wuhan, the epicentre.
An official on Friday announced a major revision that added nearly 1,300 fatalities.
The new figures, he said, resulted from an in-depth review of deaths during a response that was chaotic in the early days.
He raised the official toll in Wuhan by 50% to 3,869 deaths.
While China has yet to update its national totals, the revised numbers push up China’s total to 4,632 deaths from a previously reported 3,342.
The higher numbers are not a surprise — it is virtually impossible to get an accurate count when health systems are overwhelmed at the height of a crisis.
And they confirmed suspicions that many more people died than the official figures had showed.
The undercount stemmed from several factors, according to a notification issued by Wuhan’s coronavirus response headquarters and published by the official Xinhua News Agency.
The reasons included the deaths of people at home because overwhelmed hospitals had no room for them.
Another reason was the mistaken reporting by medical staff focused on saving lives.
There were also and deaths at a few medical institutions that weren’t linked to the epidemic information network, he said.
“As a result, belated, missed and mistaken reporting occurred,” Xinhua quoted an unidentified official from the city’s response headquarters as saying.
Deaths outside hospitals were not registered previously and some medical institutions reported cases late or not at all, the official said.
A group to review the numbers was established in late March.
It looked at data from multiple sources including the city’s hospital and funeral service systems.
It collected information from fever clinics, temporary hospitals, quarantine sites, prisons and elderly care centres.
The review found 1,454 additional deaths, as well as 164 that had been double-counted or misclassified as coronavirus cases, resulting in a net increase of 1,290.
The number of confirmed cases in the city of 11 million people was revised up slightly to 50,333.
Questions have long swirled around the accuracy of China’s case reporting, with Wuhan in particular going several days in January without reporting new cases or deaths.
That has led to accusations that Chinese officials were seeking to minimise the impact of the outbreak and could have brought it under control sooner.
A group of eight medical workers, including a doctor who later died from the virus, were even reprimanded and threatened by police after they tried to alert others about the disease over social media.
Chinese officials have denied covering up cases, saying their reports were accurate and timely.
However, the World Health Organisation has come under criticism for defending China’s handling of the outbreak.
U.S. President Donald Trump suspended funding to WHO, alleging it is pro-China bias.
Trump’s blaming of China came after he initially showered praise on Chinese President Xi Jinping for the country’s response.
Trump also then dismissed the risk the virus posed to the U.S.
At the start of the outbreak, China proceeded cautiously and largely in secret, emphasising political stability.
Experts estimate more than 3,000 people were infected before China’s government told the public about the gravity of the situation.
Sic days earlier, officials had concluded the situation was grave.
The risk of sustained human-to-human transmission was also downplayed.
This was a time that infected people entered hospitals across the country and the first case outside China was found, in Thailand.
As Trump and other U.S. officials and lawmakers started blaming China for the outbreak, Chinese officials sought to shift blame back to the U.S.
“It might be US army who brought the epidemic to Wuhan,” foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian tweeted in March, picking up on an unsubstantiated conspiracy theory.
You may be interested
A Guide To Non-European Countries Footballers Seeking A Relaxed LifeWebby - March 23, 2023
Footballers generally live a very lavish Lifestyle, and there’s no doubt about it! All the popular athletes can be seen…
2023 U-23 AFCONQ: ‘How We’ll Beat Olympic Eagles In Rabat’ –Guinea Coach, CisseWebby - March 23, 2023
Guinea U-23 head coach Morlaye Cissé has explained how they plan to defeat Nigeria in the second leg of the…
I Won’t Tell You Lies — NFF President Gusau Promises Super EaglesWebby - March 23, 2023
President of the Nigeria Football Federation, Ibrahim Gusau has promised to be fair and just in his dealings with the…
Leave a Comment