Renewed violence in Nigeria displaces more than 140,000 in 2019 ~ UN
Renewed violence mostly by Boko Haram in northeast Nigeria has forced more than 140,000 people to flee their homes this year, spokesman for UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, said on Friday.
The violent activity “has sparked an upsurge in forced displacement in Borno, with more than 140,000 people forced to move this year alone,” Stephane Dujarric said. “Many farmers have missed multiple planting seasons and more than 3 million people are food insecure.”
The United Nations and its partners have supported the humanitarian response in northeast Nigeria since the beginning of the crisis, the spokesman said, adding that in 2019 alone, they have so far provided critical and lifesaving assistance to more than 3.8 million people.
However, Dujarric said that more than 7 million people currently need humanitarian assistance in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states.
UN Emergency Relief Coordinator Mark Lowcock has been visiting Borno, reviewing the humanitarian situation in the region of devastated communities suffering from 10 years of violence by Boko Haram and other “non-state armed groups.”
Boko Haram is known for its agenda to maintain a virtual caliphate in the most populous African country.
You may be interested
Kogi election, disappointment to Nigeria’s democracy, says groupWebby - November 17, 2019
Participation Initiative for Behavioral Change in Development (PIBCID), 2Baba Idibia Foundation and youth-focused civil society organizations, have expressed displeasure with…
Fashanu Praises Sterling’s Stand Against RacismWebby - November 17, 2019
Raheem Sterling is a spokesman for the young black generation, a sensational footballer – and, above all else, a natural-born…
El-Zakzaky’s detention: DSS statement recklesss, says IMNWebby - November 17, 2019
The Islamic Movement of Nigeria, the umbrella group for the endangered Shiite sect, has strongly disagreed with Friday’s statement by…