A two-year-old boy was burnt to death on Friday night after candlelight gutted a storey building on Ben Okonkwo Street, Ikotun area of Lagos State.
It was learnt that a five-year-old girl also suffered burns but was rescued by emergency officials who put out the fire. The identities of the victims had yet to be identified.
Sunday PUNCH gathered that the fire started from a self-contained flat on the top floor of the building.
The deceased’s mother had reportedly gone out to buy some food items, leaving the candle lit while her son and the girl were asleep.
It was learnt that before she returned, the candle had burnt out and engulfed the room.
Our correspondent learnt that it took a combined team of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency and the state fire service to put out the fire.
“The fire started on Friday night as a result of candlelight while the woman stepped out to buy some food items. A boy of two years old was burnt beyond recognition. A five-year-old girl also suffered burns and she was taken to a hospital, but I can’t readily confirm whether the victims are siblings,” an emergency official told our correspondent.
LASEMA General Manager Dr Femi Oke-Osanyintolu, who confirmed the death of the boy, urged residents to avoid using candles and be safety conscious.
You may be interested
Weeks after begging Shettima’s wife for N2m, ‘My family doesn’t need Nigeria’s wealth to survive’ says Remi TinubuWebby - May 28, 2023
THE wife of the President-elect Oluremi Tinubu has said her family is blessed and does not need Nigeria’s wealth to…
Federation Cup: Rangers, Plateau United, Wolves Zoom Into Semi-FinalsWebby - May 28, 2023
Rangers zoomed into the semi-finals of the Federation Cup following a 1-0 victory against Doma United. Obinna Nwobodo scored the…
Ways and Means: Reps concur with Senate, increase FG’s threshold to borrow from CBNWebby - May 28, 2023
The House of Representatives has increased the limit within which the federal government can borrow from the Central Bank of…
Leave a Comment