Leader of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria, Sheikh Ibraheem El-Zakzaky and his wife have just left Nigeria for India for medical treatment.
They left alongside some family members and security operatives.
This followed the granting of the couple’s application for leave to seek medical attention in New Delhi, India last week by Justice Darius Khobo of Kaduna State High Court.
A statement signed by Abdurrahman Abubakar Yola Chairman, Free Zakzaky Campaign Committee, and made available to DAILY POST on Monday, said that “in spite of the attempted efforts at frustrating this emergency medical journey by the Kaduna state government, which tried to unilaterally put conditions to the journey even though it lacked such powers, the journey has gone on without much hitches.
“This emergency medical journey is consequent on the facts that both the Sheikh and his wife are known to be clearly very ill in detention, sequel to the brutal wounds unjustifiably inflicted on them by the state agents in the name of Nigerian army, the resultant prolonged dehumanizing detention in the custody of the Department of State Security (DSS) and the obvious poisoning of the Sheikh.
“As a result of all these physical and psychological stresses, the Sheikh suffered series of mild strokes and is at the risk of further recurrences.
“At the same time, he lost one eye following the military attack and is at a severe risk of losing sight completely in the other. He is now found to have more than twenty times the toxic levels of lead poison in his body! Similarly, the wife has been under excruciating pains with shrapnel deeply lodged in her body for all these years of inhuman conditions in detention.
“She now is able to ambulate only with the use of a wheelchair, even to the airport. They have been battling ailments that could not be treated in Nigeria, as posited by the foreign medical experts that earlier in the year assessed their health condition. Undoubtedly, both risk losing their lives had the medical journey been further delayed or denied.
“We wish to use this opportunity to thank all people of conscience, particularly the team of lawyers being led by Femi Falana SAN, some very senior citizens, diplomats, human rights activists and organizations, journalists and the general public who doggedly stood by us in the campaign for justice for the victims of Zaria genocide. Thank you and God bless.”
You may be interested
CBN Governor replies Obaseki over claims Nigeria printed N60 billion for march AllocationWebby - April 16, 2021
The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele has refuted the allegation made by the Edo State…
SEC working with CBN on crypto trading regulation, says DGWebby - April 16, 2021
Nigeria’s Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) says it is working with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) for better understanding…
Over 10,000 Nigerian Boys And Girls Are Still Held By Boko Haram – Governor Samuel OrtomWebby - April 16, 2021
Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom has alleged that over 10,000 Nigerian boys and girls are still being held in captivity…