A Federal Capital Territory High Court has directed Maryam Sanda, who allegedly killed her husband, Bilyaminu Bello, to enter defence.
Maryam is being prosecuted with three other suspects was alleged to have killed Bello on November 19, 2017, through multiple stabbing.
Other defendants prosecuted with Maryam include Maimuna Aliyu, Maryam’s mother; Aliyu Sanda, her brother, and Sadiya Aminu, her housemaid, for screening of an offender.
They all pleaded not guilty to the charge.
In the judgment delivered by Justice Yusuf Halilu on the no-case-submission filed by Sanda, the Judge held that the prosecution had established a prima facie case against the defendant that can make her enter her defence.
The Judge said by the evidence adduced before him, the offence is punishable under section 221 of the penal code, if found guilty.
Halilu said on the part of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th defendants charged with screening of an offender pursuant to section 167 of penal code, the Police failed to do proper investigation, therefore, the no-case-submission by them is hereby upheld, accordingly, they are discharged and acquitted.
Earlier, counsel for Sanda, Olusegun Jolaawo, argued that the prosecution had no case against Maryam to warrant her to enter a defence as evidence brought by the prosecution before the court had been done away with.
He urged the court to discharge his client because she had no case to answer.
Counsel for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th defendants, Hussein Musa, also urged the court to discharge and acquit the defendants because the prosecution had not adduced enough evidence to warrant them to enter defence.
But the prosecuting counsel, Fidelis Ogbobe, opposed their submissions, insisting that there is enough evidence against the suspects for them to enter defence and closed his case after calling six witnesses on January 22, 2019.
The case was adjourned to May 6 for definite trial of Maryam.
Post Views: 72
You may be interested
Proliferation of illicit arms a major challenge to fight against insecurity – AbdulsalamiWebby - April 8, 2021
[unable to retrieve full-text content]
We didn’t detain, torture President’s official driver, says DSSWebby - April 8, 2021
The Department of State Services (DSS) has debunked a story published by an online medium alleging that operatives of the…
IMO: Gov. Uzodinma, police, army failed thrice to action DSS intelligence days before prison attackWebby - April 8, 2021
The DSS alerted the police, state government, and other stakeholder with actionable intelligence days before bandits bombed out the Owerri…