Gernot Rohr, the Super Eagles boss has delivered a scathing assessment of Kelechi Iheanacho after he left out of the forward from his squad to face Seychelles and Egypt during the international break.
Rohr left out Iheanacho for the first time since he took over as Super Eagles boss and the Franco-German coach said he has not been impressed by the Leicester City forward.
Iheanacho’s has had an underwhelming season at Leicester City where he has managed just one goal in 25 Premier League outings so far this term.
According to Pulse, when he was asked about Iheanacho’s absence from the squad at a press conference ahead of the Seychelles game, Rohr said he wanted to give other players a chance.
“I told him why he is not on the list. I want to see other strikers,” Rohr said.
“This is the last opportunity to invite other people because there is no other FIFA window before we have to do our first list.”
He also said he left Iheanacho so the forward could stay back at Leicester City to work and impress new manager Brendan Rodgers.
Then came the scathing warning to the 22-year-old.
“Also we are not really satisfied with his performances in the last time and I think he has to be more professional,” Rohr added.
“It’s not good all the time to be funny. You must show that you are serious, working every day in the training session and show that you are to come back in the team, at the club and also with us.”
Brendan Rodgers was announced as the coach of Leicester City on February 26, 2019. According to the Leicester Mercury, Rodgers said it has been hard for Iheanacho to rise through the ranks because of the experience of Jamie Vardy.
“It’s been hard for Kel [Iheanacho] because he’s come in and he’s been a secondary striker at Manchester City. All of a sudden he makes a move for big money and I think everyone can see the potential.
“But he’s come in to one of the top strikers in the league (Jamie Vardy) and I think it’s very hard to displace that” said Rodgers as quoted by Leicester Mercury.
You may be interested
“131 In Lagos, 69 In Kaduna” – Nigeria Confirms 464 New COVID-19 Cases As Total Hits 156,963Webby - March 4, 2021
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has recorded 464 new cases of coronavirus, bringing the total number of infections…
Our Abductors Gave Us Their Phone Numbers, Professed Marriage To Us – Jangebe SchoolgirlsWebby - March 3, 2021
The female students abducted at the Jangebe Government Girls Secondary School in Zamfara State, have narrated their encounter with the…
Nigeria reiterates commitment to global green energy initiativeWebby - March 3, 2021
Nigeria has reiterated its commitment to the global green energy initiative with the forthcoming deployment of the 5 million solar…