Egypt Opposes Okonjo-Iweala’s Nomination As Director-General Of World Trade Organisation

June 6, 2020
86 Views

The Egyptian Government has opposed the candidature of Nigeria’s former finance minister, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, as the Director-General of the World Trade Organisation (WTO).

President Muhammadu Buhari had on Thursday approved Okonjo-Iweala’s nomination to contest for the position and withdrew the candidacy of Yonov Frederick Agah, Nigeria’s permanent representative to WTO.

In a letter to States of the African Union (AU) on Friday, Egypt contended that her nomination was out of time and therefore flew in the face of the rules of nomination which import they said, was that Nigeria no longer had a candidate for the position.

It said member states of the AU had been required to nominate candidates for the director-general position by November 30, 2019 over five months ago while the request to replace Agah with Okonjo-Iweala was made on June 4, 2020.

ALSO READNgozi-Okonjo Iweala Gets International Appointment at Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank

Egyptian mission said the decision to withdraw Mr Agah’s candidature meant Nigeria forfeited its chance to participate in the race.

It urged the ministerial committee on candidatures to officially inform the African Group in Geneva that Abdulhameed Mamdouh of Egypt and Eloi Laourou of the Republic of Benin are currently the “only two endorsed African candidates”, according to the communication dated June 5, 2020.

“During the ambassadorial level ministerial committee on candidatures meeting which was held on June 4, 2020, the Office of Legal Counsel (OLC) gave its legal opinion regarding Nigeria’s nomination of a new candidate to the post of WTO-DG, in which the OLC clearly highlighted that – from a legal point of view- such a nomination is not in conformity with the executive council decision EX.CL/Dec.

“I 090(XXXVI), since the council’s decision, had specifically endorsed the three names of candidates as submitted by the ministerial committee’s report after thoroughly examining the qualifications and professional experience of each of the three above mentioned candidates.

“The conformity of Nigeria’s new nomination as presented in its note verbal with the rules of procedure of the ministerial committee, specifically rule 11, para (1), (2), (3), (4);

“If the new nomination – in the event it is submitted officially to the WTO in Geneva- could constitute a failure to comply with the decision of the executive council and be subject to sanction for non-compliance as mentioned in Rule I 6 of the rules of procedure of the ministerial committee.”

Flowing from the above, the mission urged the legal counsel office to provide its opinion on “the conformity of Nigeria’s new nomination with executive council decision no. EX1072 of July 2019, which requested member states to nominate candidates to the position of director-general of the World Trade Organisation by November 30, 2019.

The mission also said it has started consultations with the Republic of Benin “with the aim of reaching a consensus on one African candidate between the only two currently endorsed African candidates and will communicate the outcomes of these consultations to the esteemed ministerial committee at the soonest possible date”.

ALSO READNgozi Okonjo Iweala Is 87th Most Powerful Woman In The World – Forbes

You may be interested

Federal Poly Bauchi sacks two lecturers for sexual harassment
News
News

Federal Poly Bauchi sacks two lecturers for sexual harassment

Webby - October 24, 2021

Entrance of the Federal Polytechnic Bauchi.Two lecturers of the Federal Polytechnic Bauchi have been dismissed after being found guilty of…

IPOB insists Anambra state governorship election won’t hold if Nnamdi Kanu isn’t released
News
3 views
News
3 views

IPOB insists Anambra state governorship election won’t hold if Nnamdi Kanu isn’t released

Webby - October 24, 2021

The proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) has threatened that the November 6, governorship election in Anambra State would not…

Bauchi poly sacks two lecturers for ‘sexually assaulting’ female students
News
1 views
News
1 views

Bauchi poly sacks two lecturers for ‘sexually assaulting’ female students

Webby - October 24, 2021

The Federal Polytechnic in Bauchi has terminated the appointments of two lecturers of the institution accused of sexually harassing female students.This…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.