Coronavirus: “Wake Up And Prepare For The Worse” – WHO Tells Africa After Recording 17 Deaths In 24 Hours

March 19, 2020
29 Views

The World Health Organisation () said has recorded 17 deaths in the past 24 hours from the ongoing outbreak.

Africa was among the last continent to report cases of the coronavirus, but the virus is beginning to spread throughout the continent as 33 countries have reported at least a case of the disease.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO Director-General, speaking to journalists on Wednesday said so far, there has been 633 confirmed COVID-19 cases in 33 African countries leading to 17 deaths.

He warned African countries to prepare for the worst, adding that the continent needs to wake up as official numbers of COVID-19 cases do not likely reflect the full picture.

Tedros warned that numbers of positive cases could scale up quickly if care is not taken.

“Till date more than 200,000 people have been and more than 8,000 killed with Africa as the least affected,”he said.

“Africa should wake up,Probably we have undetected cases or unreported cases.

“Even if there truly were no more than 233 cases of the disease in Africa, he warned that that number could scale up quickly.

“In other countries, we have seen how the virus actually accelerates after a certain tipping point, so the best advice for Africa is to prepare for the worst and prepare today

“WHO’s recommendation is actually that mass gatherings should be avoided.”

Meanwhile, Five new persons recently tested positive for coronavirus in Nigeria, totaling eight cases of the deadly disease in the country.

You may be interested

Nigeria’s Coronavirus caseload crashes further 
News
2 views
News
2 views

Nigeria’s Coronavirus caseload crashes further 

Webby - September 13, 2020

<!-- Doctors attending to Coronavirus patients --> Doctors attending to Coronavirus patients By Kazeem Ugbodaga Nigeria’s Coronavirus caseload crashes further…

BT Sports: Atletico Madrid Boss, Diego Simeone Contracts #COVID19
News
4 views
News
4 views

BT Sports: Atletico Madrid Boss, Diego Simeone Contracts #COVID19

Webby - September 13, 2020

Atletico Madrid head coach, Diego Simeone has contracted the dreaded COVID-19, the club announced yesterday. 50-year-old Simeone, after testing positive…

Most wanted Rivers criminal Boboski dies hours after arrest
News
1 views
News
1 views

Most wanted Rivers criminal Boboski dies hours after arrest

Webby - September 13, 2020

<!-- Boboski --> Boboski By Okafor Ofiebor/Port Harcourt Boboski, the most wanted suspected kidnapper, armed robber and murderer, whose real…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.