President Muhammadu Buhari at the weekend lamented the politicization of the security crisis in the country will not benefit anyone.
Garba Shehu, Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, in a statement in Abuja on Saturday indicated that the Presidency cautioned a section of the political class against misleading the public and inciting protests against the heads of military institutions.
He noted that this has become necessary in view of received reports that about two thousand men and women have been hired to demonstrate against Nigeria’s service chiefs on Monday.
He decried thar this imminent gathering is the latest in a series of demonstrations orchestrated by the opposition to embarrass the government of President Muhammadu Buhari.
Garba Shehu appeared to have forgotten that the Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, and his colleagues have demanded the resignation of the service chiefs; the House of Representatives, both dominated by the APC, also cast vote of no confidence on the service chiefs, demanding their sack by President Buhari.
The SSA, shifting ground and attempting distractions from the realities of the security crisis in Nigeria, narrated that as part of this overall scheme, the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, with its belligerent politics, has been marching from one embassy to the other in protest against the Buhari administration and the nation’s highest court of justice, the Supreme Court. “They are keen to give the impression that Nigerians are in support of them as they take to the streets, and they will go to any length to promote this false narrative,” he added.
Garba further said that the recent incident in Maiduguri, Borno State, where an overwhelmingly cheering crowd gathered to welcome President Buhari, while a handful were recorded booing him, is a part this elaborate scheme. “It is misleading, as some analysts have tried to do, to read this as verdict against President Buhari, who emerged winner with 94 per cent of the votes cast in the Presidential election in the state in February last year.
“This was clearly a hired few, but the news was promoted by the opposition who had of course positioned themselves to record the booing – all just to embarrass the President.
“We urge the media to remain unbiased and discerning in their reporting, instead of becoming unwitting tools in the hands of the opposition,” he said.
He added: “A group of politicians and beneficiaries of the Boko Haram insurgency is right now paying for people to join their planned protest against our country’s service chiefs, and they will no doubt seek the media’s collaboration on this as usual.
“But there is news and there is promoted content – two very different things, one of which should never make the headlines as these recent fake protests have done.”
You may be interested
Apapa urges Obi to withdraw petition against TinubuWebby - June 3, 2023
The Lamidi Apapa faction of the Labour Party (LP) has urged Peter Obi, the party’s presidential candidate, to withdraw his…
Tribunal: Labour Party tells Obi to withdraw petition against TinubuWebby - June 3, 2023
The Lamidi Apapa faction of Labour Party (Labour Party) has urged its presidential candidate, Peter Obi, to step down his…
Police recover additional 10 guns, other weapons at Auxiliary’s hideoutWebby - June 3, 2023
The Police Command in Oyo State says it has recovered additional weapons at Diamond Hotel, a hideout allegedly being used…
Leave a Comment