Queen Elizabeth II congratulates Boris Johnson on his assumption of office as Britain’s 77th Prime Minister. Inset: The Queen with the first PM she worked with after her coronation, Winston Churchill. Image credits: Twitter, gov.uk
Mr. Boris Johnson, who took office on Wednesday, is the 77th British PM.
Out of these, 93-year-old British Queen Elizabeth II has worked with 13 PMs in the course of her 66-year-and-still-counting reign, with the newly inaugurated Boris Johnson as the 14th one she will be working with.
The following is the list of the PMs the Queen has worked with since she was crowned 66 years ago.
1. Winston Churchill. The Queen was crowned on June 2, 1953, and the first PM she worked with was Winston Churchill. Churchill had served as PM between 1940 and 1945, and then again between 1951 and 1955. Two years into Churchill’s second chance at prime minister, the Queen was crowned.
2. Anthony Eden. Eden was the UK prime minister between 1955 and 1957.
3. Harold Macmillan — 1957-1963.
4. Alec Douglas-Home — 1963-1964.
5. Harold Wilson — Also a two-term prime minister, Wilson served variously from 1964-1970, and then again from 1974-76.
6. Edward Heath — Prime Minister from 1970 to 1974.
7. James Callaghan was the U.K.’s prime minister between 1976 and 1979.
8. Margaret Thatcher served as PM from 1979 until 1990.
9. John Major — 1990-1997
10. Tony Blair served as prime minister between 1997 and 2007.
11. Gordon Brown 2007-2010.
12. David Cameron 2010 to 2016
13. Theresa May — 2016 – July 24, 2019.
You may be interested
Buhari, Bello, North’s Speakers, ACF mourn WushishiWebby - December 6, 2021
By Bolaji Ogundele, Abuja and AbdulGafar Alabelewe, Kaduna President Muhammadu Buhari, Kogi State Governor Yahaya Bello, Speakers of the 19…
CJN speaks on state of judiciary WednesdayWebby - December 6, 2021
Chief Justice of Nigeria, CJN, Justice Ibrahim Tanko Muhammad, will make an address on the state of the judiciary on…