Appeal court clears Zamfara APC candidates

February 22, 2019
372 Views

The APC in Zamfara can now field candidates in the general elections following the Appeal Court judgement on Thursday.

The appellate court sitting in Abuja set aside the judgment of the Federal High Court, Abuja, which barred the APC from fielding candidates, in consonance with the earlier decision of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

The Federal High Court gave its ruling on 25 January on the same day that another court upheld the primaries organised by the state chapter of the party.

But a 3- man panel of the appellate court described the judgment in Abuja as an abuse of court process. The panel held that the trial court lacked the jurisdiction to have entertained the suit.

The panel further said the suit at the Federal High court was filed out of time.

It said while the electoral act provided for 14 days to institute a suit after the cause of action had arisen, the suit was filed 15 days after, making the action illegal.

A week ago, Abubakar Malami, attorney-general of the federation, asked INEC to postpone elections in Zamfara state.

Malami said he acted based on a petition from a law firm claiming that recent court judgments have annulled the stand of INEC that the APC did not conduct primaries in the state and can therefore not field candidates.

According to him, since the courts admitted that primaries were held, INEC should shift the elections to allow APC catch up with other parties in preparing for the polls.

But at a press conference in Abuja earlier on Thursday, Mahmood Yakubu, INEC chairman insisted that APC in Zamfara would not field candidates.

You may be interested

NPFL: Defeat To Kwara United Painful — Nasarawa United Boss Yusuf
Sports
17 views
Sports
17 views

NPFL: Defeat To Kwara United Painful — Nasarawa United Boss Yusuf

Webby - March 27, 2025

Nasarawa United head coach Salisu Yusuf has reacted to his team’s 1-0 loss to Kwara United, reports Completesports.com. Emeka Onyema…

Cote d’Ivoire Withdraw As Host Of U-20 AFCON
Sports
1 views
Sports
1 views

Cote d’Ivoire Withdraw As Host Of U-20 AFCON

Webby - March 27, 2025

Cote d’Ivoire announced late Tuesday its withdrawal from hosting the 2025 U-20 Africa Cup of Nations just weeks before the…

2026 WCQ: Osimhen’s Goal Not Enough As Zimbabwe Hold Super Eagles In Uyo
Sports
2 views
Sports
2 views

2026 WCQ: Osimhen’s Goal Not Enough As Zimbabwe Hold Super Eagles In Uyo

Webby - March 25, 2025

The Super Eagles of Nigeria were held to a 1-1 draw by Zimbabwe in their 2026 FIFA World Cup qualifying…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.