Plans are on the way to end the monopoly being enjoyed by Digital Satellite Television(DSTV), a television service provider owned by MultiChoice, a South Africa based company.
According to the government, it had amended Nigeria’s broadcasting code to prevent DStv and others from monopolising their channels and contents.
The House of Representatives has been probing DStv for allegedly cheating its Nigerian subscribers by restricting them to prepaid plans and increasing its subscription rates on June 1, 2020, despite the economic impact of COVID-19 pandemic lockdown on the people.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed at the continuation of the investigative hearings organised by the ad hoc committee of the House on the matter in Abuja dismissed claims by DStv that pay-per-view was not proper for the Nigerian market.
The Minister said, “On the issue of increase in price for subscribers, with the onset of COVID-19, one of the first things we did in the ministry with the NBC (National Broadcasting Commission) was to provide succour to broadcasters.
“We suspended payment for the initial two months to all broadcasters so that they would be able to absorb the impact of COVID-19. Therefore, it will be unfair for those for whom we have suspended payment to also at the same time increase their own fees. And I’m sure that the DG of NBC will take up this matter.”
The Minister maintained that President Muhammadu Buhari had in 2019 set up a board of enquiry to look into the activities of broadcasting stations, to ascertain the potency of the broadcasting code and broadcasting act to curtail and regulate the industry against excesses.
“We took that opportunity also to make right recommendations to Mr. President, including the breaking of the monopoly of the various giant operators. It is to the credit of Mr. President that he did approve those recommendations.
“Some recommendations would require that the National Assembly amend the provisions of the Nigeria Broadcasting Act.
“You will notice, in recent weeks, a lot of attacks on the ministry as a result of these amendments. These amendments have actually struck at the heart of the monopoly. These amendments are, for once, giving back to Nigerians their own industry”, he added.
Chairman of the committee, Mr. Unyime Idem, had earlier asked the Minister and the acting Director General of the NBC, Armstrong Idachaba, to order DStv to suspend its recent rates’ increment.
“The Minister and all stakeholders present should ensure and commence full implementation of its directives.”
“A matching order to the service providers, particularly Multichoice’s DStv, to reverse the recent June 1, 2020 price hike and revert to the old price as this is not the best of times to increase the prices of services, no matter the reasons for such increase, taking into consideration the ravaging effect of COVID-19 on the economy of Nigerians.
“Come up with a robust strategy to break the monopoly and open up the industry for larger participation. PAYG regime for the digital TV broadcasting in Nigeria, with particular reference to DStv, GOtv, StarTimes and Kwese TV.
“Deregulation of content right by DTH (direct-to home), DTT (digital terrestrial television) and IPTV (Internet Protocol Television) operators. Encouraging local content participation through content sharing.”
The plan is said to include ending exclusive rights to sporting events.
It can be recalled that only DStv currently broadcasts major football competitions in Nigeria, especially the English Premier League.
You may be interested
Former Nigerian head of state, Ernest Shonekan, dies at 85Webby - January 11, 2022
Ernest-Shonekan By Nehru Odeh Chief Ernest Adegunle Oladeinde Shonekan, GCFR, the former head of the Interim National Government that succeeded…
UN Secretary-General formalizes Amina Mohammed’s appointmentWebby - January 11, 2022
The United Nations Secretary-General, Secretary-General António Guterres has officially announced Amina Mohammed of Nigeria as Deputy Secretary-General of the World…
Breaking: Ex-Nigerian interim president Ernest Shonekan is deadWebby - January 11, 2022
Chief Ernest Shonekan, former Head, Interim Government of Nigeria. January 11, (THEWILL) – Chief Ernest Shonekan who headed the Interim…