How Cardinal jailed for 6 yrs reacted after judgement

March 13, 2019
101 Views

Cardinal George Pell, the most senior Vatican official to be convicted of sex abuse to date, has been sentenced to six years in prison for the “callous” assault of two choirboys in the late 1990s.

Cardinal George Pell was a former senior adviser to Pope Francis.

Pell showed no reaction when Chief Judge Peter Kidd handed down his sentence in a hearing broadcast live worldwide on Wednesday from Victoria’s County Court in central Melbourne.

According to CNN, the 77-tear-old was found guilty of one count of sexual penetration of a child and four counts of committing an indecent act with a child last December after a secret five-week trial.

Reporting of the trial and verdict was suppressed by the court to avoid prejudicing a second trial, which crown prosecutors abandoned in February after the judge ruled some prosecution evidence couldn’t be submitted.

On Wednesday, Judge Kidd said Pell’s attack on the victims was “breathtakingly arrogant” adding that the cardinal had assaulted the boys with “callous indifference to the victims’ distress.”

But the judge said Pell was “not to be made a scapegoat for any failings or perceived failings of the Catholic Church.”

Outside the court, survivors of Catholic sex abuse who had attended the hearing were divided on the sentence. Some felt it was too light, while others were happy to see justice being done. “I would have been happy with one month, one week,” one said.

In a statement after the sentencing, the surviving victim said it was hard for him “to take comfort in this outcome.”

“There is no rest for me,” he said through his lawyer, Vivian Waller. “I’m doing my best to hold myself and my family together.”

Until last month Pell held the role of Vatican treasurer, considered by many to be the third most senior position within the Roman Catholic church.

Pell’s legal team has previously announced it will appeal his conviction on three grounds, including that the jury’s verdict on all five charges was unreasonable, based on the evidence submitted.

The Court of Appeal is due to hear submissions in early June.

CNN

You may be interested

Cross River State Government Demolishes Hotel Harbouring Kidnappers In Calabar (Video)
News
2 views
News
2 views

Cross River State Government Demolishes Hotel Harbouring Kidnappers In Calabar (Video)

Webby - January 24, 2021

The place was demolished A hotel that allegedly served as a hideout for suspected kidnappers has been demolished by the…

Nigerian Actress, Kemi Afolabi Builds A New House (Photo)
News
3 views
News
3 views

Nigerian Actress, Kemi Afolabi Builds A New House (Photo)

Webby - January 24, 2021

Kemi Afolabi Kemi Afolabi, a popular Nigerian actress, has started off the year by completing her new house. This new…

How I Survived Heart Attack Twice – Singer And Actress, Prophetess Tola Tells Her Story
News
2 views
News
2 views

How I Survived Heart Attack Twice – Singer And Actress, Prophetess Tola Tells Her Story

Webby - January 24, 2021

Prophetess Tola Princess Elizabeth Onanuga, the United Kingdom-based Nollywood movie producer and actress turned singer and now a prophetess, popularly…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.