Six important things to note about the new SWAT team
The Inspector General of Police Mohammed Adamu has created a new unit known as Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) Team which will replaced the disbanded FSARS
The Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) was disbanded on Sunday 11th October due to alleged extra-judicial killings, wanton arrests and dispossession of property through physical assault and other intimidation tactics.
Below are six things you need to know about the new SWAT unit;
1. Prospective members of this new team will undergo psychological and medical examination to ascertain their fitness and eligibility for the new assignment.
2. These members are to commence training at the different Police tactical training institutions nationwide, next week.
3. The training schedules are as follows;
A. Police Commands in the South-East and the South-South will be trained at the Counter-Terrorism College, Nonwa-Tai, Rivers State
B. Police Commands from the North will be trained at the Police Mobile Force Training College, Ende, Nasarawa State
C. Police Commands from the South-West will be trained at the Police Mobile Force Training College, Ila-Orangun, Osun State
4. The IGP ordered all operatives of the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) to report at the Force Headquarters, Abuja for debriefing, psychological and medical examination.
5. The medical examination will be carried out by the newly set-up Police Counselling and Support Unit (PCSU), a unit, which henceforth shall engage in psychological management, re-orientation and training of officers of the Force deployed for tactical operations and other duties.
6. The Police Counselling and Support Unit will consist of psychiatrists, psychologists, medics, pastors and imams, Public Relations practitioners, Civil Society and other Human Rights groups with relevant qualifications and expertise
Source – The Nations
You may be interested
There is no need to continue the protest, SARS has been disbanded – senate president, LawanWebby - October 15, 2020
Nigeria senate president Ahmed Lawan has appealed to Nigerian youths to stop the EndSARS protest as the controversial Police unit…
Adams Oshiomhole pleads for out of court settlement on Gov Ortom libel suit against…Webby - October 15, 2020
Comrade Adams Oshiomhole former National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, has pleaded for an out-of-court settlement following a N10bn libel…
We don’t believe you are listening when nobody has been dismissed or charged with…Webby - October 15, 2020
Actress and film maker Genevieve Nnaji has said that Nigerians do not believe the Federal government is listening to the…