Lagos To Use 600 Patients For COVID-19 Drug Trial

May 24, 2020
28 Views

Lagos COVID-19 trial

Lagos governor at an isolation centre

The Lagos State Government has said that it would enlist 600 patients to determine the efficacy of Chloroquine as a valid treatment for COVID-19.

The state’s Commissioner for Information, Gbenga Omotosho, made the disclosure.

He said, “In summary, we will be looking at about 600 patients. The trial will go on till we recruit the required number. 

“There will be an independent Data and Safety Board. The board can advise that study be discontinued if the statistical evidence of the usefulness of a drug is overwhelming and in which case it becomes unethical to withhold it from other groups.” Speaking as well, the governor of the state, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, said the state had learnt how to deal with infectious diseases, through its handling of the Ebola pandemic in 2014.

“That was also epic in Lagos and it gave Lagos some understanding about how serious infectious disease could be managed. We have an Infectious Disease Hospital in Yaba and even after the Ebola case, we had some international grants and over the last two to three years, we have built what we call a biosecurity lab level four, which can match any of its kind in the world.”

The Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Akin Abayomi, had earlier in April said the state was going to hold clinical trials.

The adaptation of Chloroquine for clinical trial as a potential drug in managing the symptoms of COVID-19 is based on data from other treatment centres across the world.

No state or federal government official has released data on treatment therapies used in their isolation/treatment centres.

You may be interested

Breaking News: The Death Toll From Coronavirus Has Surpassed One Million
News
3 views
News
3 views

Breaking News: The Death Toll From Coronavirus Has Surpassed One Million

Webby - September 27, 2020

According to worldometers.info, the number of fatalities reached 1,000,502 at about 18.00GMT on Sunday. Notable Nigerians who died from coronavirus…

10 Nigerian Ladies Barred From Leaving Lebanon By Employers
News
3 views
News
3 views

10 Nigerian Ladies Barred From Leaving Lebanon By Employers

Webby - September 27, 2020

The 10 ladies stopped from leaving Lebanon include Ajara Kehinde, Alliu Kaothar Adeola, Aremu Idowu Elizabeth, Azeez Funmilayo Afusat, and…

Breaking News: Again, Boko Haram Attacks Borno Governo, Zulum’s Convoy
News
2 views
News
2 views

Breaking News: Again, Boko Haram Attacks Borno Governo, Zulum’s Convoy

Webby - September 27, 2020

Prof. Babagana Zulum The convoy of Borno State Governor, Prof. Babagana Zulum, was again attacked on Sunday morning, The PUNCH…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.