EFCC Arrests Two Chinese Men For Offering N100 Million Bribe To Its Top Officer In Sokoto

May 13, 2020
91 Views

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested two Chinese nationals for offering a 100 million naira bribe to the Head of its Sokoto Zonal Office, Abdullahi Lawal.

The two Chinese men, Meng Wei Kun and Xu Kuoi, were arrested on Monday in Sokoto, with N50 million in cash as an evidence.

The duo allegedly offered the bribe in a desperate bid to compromise an ongoing investigation against their construction company, China Zhonghao Nig. Ltd.

Parading the suspects on Tuesday, Lawal told newsmen that the Chinese firm was handling contracts awarded by the Zamfara State Government in the sum of N50 billion between 2012 and 2019.

“The zonal office of the commission is investigating the construction company, in connection with the execution of contracts for the construction of township roads in Gummi, Bukkuyun, Anka and Nassarawa towns of Zamfara state; and also the construction of 168 solar- powered boreholes in the 14 local government areas of the state.

“Alarmed by the consistency and professionalism of investigation being conducted, the company reached out to Lawal with an offer of N100million as bribe to “bury” the matter.

“In a grand design to trap the corrupt officials, Lawal played along, and on Monday, two representatives of the company Meng Wei Kun and Xu Kuoi offered him cash totalling N50million in their office along airport road, Sokoto. The cash was offered as a first installment.

“The suspects were promptly arrested with the cash as evidence.

“Investigation of the construction company was informed by an intelligence on alleged conspiracy; misappropriation of public funds; embezzlement; official corruption; abuse of office, stealing and money laundering obtained against the Zamfara state government through inflated and uncompleted contracts awarded to the company.

“Investigations have so far revealed that China Zounghao Ltd has received payments of over N41billion from Zamfara State Government, out of which about N16billion(equivalent to over $53million) was allegedly diverted and traced to some bureau de change operators.

Lawal said the duo would be charged to court when investigations were concluded.

ALSO READ: Abuja High Court Orders Chinese Man To Forfeit $300,000 To Nigerian Government

You may be interested

Bauchi Emirate suspends former Speaker Dogara
News
1 views
News
1 views

Bauchi Emirate suspends former Speaker Dogara

Webby - January 25, 2022

The Bauchi Emirate Council has suspended former Speaker of the House of Representatives Yakubu Dogara from bearing the traditional title…

News
1 views

At last, Bayelsa Commissioner regains freedom

Webby - January 25, 2022

At Last, Bayelsa Commissioner Regains Freedom *Police Declares four wanted *Governor Diri Sacks Paramount Ruler, CDC, Youth Leaders Okafor Ofiebor/…

Heartbreaking! FCT Policemen Torture Man To Death Over Chinese Woman’s Car Battery
News
2 views
News
2 views

Heartbreaking! FCT Policemen Torture Man To Death Over Chinese Woman’s Car Battery

Webby - January 25, 2022

 The victim According to a report by The PUNCH, the family of late Shedrach Ochoche has accused men of the…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.