An Indian pharmacist died and his boss was left hospitalised after the pair drank a chemical concoction they had developed in an effort to treat coronavirus, police said on Saturday.
The men worked for a herbal medicine company and were testing their treatment – a mix of nitric oxide and sodium nitrate – at a home in southern Chennai city.
K Sivanesan, 47, died on the spot, said local police chief Ashok Kumar.
His colleague Rajkumar is recovering from the poisoning.
Kumar said Sivanesan bought the chemicals from a market and developed the formula after conducting internet research.
There are no approved medicines or vaccines for treating COVID-19, triggering a global race for a new drug for the disease that has killed nearly 300,000 people.
India have seen record spikes in coronavirus cases this week, with John Hopkins reporting cases stand at 61,356 and the number of deaths at 2,041.
Source: Daily Mail UK
You may be interested
LUTH Hospital Reveals Why Nursing Mothers And Their Babies Were Evacuated To CorridorWebby - November 27, 2020
The Chief Medical Director (CMD) of Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH), Idi-Araba, Prof. Chris Bode, has revealed why some nursing…
2023: Kalu sees no hope for IgboWebby - November 27, 2020
Senate Chief Whip Orji Uzor Kalu has hit his tribesmen clamouring for an Igbo presidency in 2023, telling them to…
North Is Worst Place To Live In Nigeria, People No Longer Sleep With Their Eyes Closed – SultanWebby - November 27, 2020
Sultan of Sokoto and President of the Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (SCIA), Alhaji Saad Abubakar III, has described North…