Anambra Extends Lockdown For Another 14 Days After Recording Its First Case Of Coronavirus

April 11, 2020
106 Views

Barely 24 hours after recorded its first case of , Governor Willie Obiano has extended the ongoing in the state by another 14 days.

The National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) had on Friday night announced that an index case had been registered in Anambra State, and that the carrier returned from Lagos State, before symptoms of the disease manifested on him.

During a state-wide broadcast on Saturday, Governor Obiano announced that the ongoing lockdown will continue for another 14 days, and that security operatives will tighten security on the borders.

He said residents of the state who have any reason to move about must stay at home or risk arrest, adding that there will be no vehicular or human traffic across all the boundaries of the state. He said:

“I regret to announce that despite our proactive measures to insulate our dear state from this pandemic, we recorded the first case of Coronavirus in the state yesterday.

“The index case came in from Lagos. He has been placed in one of our Protective Care Centers. At the same time, we have commenced aggressive Contact Tracing to ensure that everyone he came in contact with is brought into the net for a professional handling that will save lives.

“It has become extremely necessary to tighten the measures we had taken earlier on the pandemic. The restriction on movement is hereby extended by two weeks. This time, we are placing a comprehensive Lock down on Anambra State.

“We shall not tolerate any movement across the state by individuals and groups. Only people on essential services are permitted to move around in the delivery of those services to the people.

“Ndi Anambra are advised to stay indoors to avoid getting contaminated by this virus. The security agencies will enforce the restriction on movement this time and they have my authorization to make arrests where necessary to keep our dear state safe.

“All boundaries with neighbouring states remain closed. There will be no vehicular or human traffic across all the boundaries of Anambra State. Only vehicles delivering essential services are permitted after a comprehensive check and authorization by security operatives at the boundaries.”

“Everyone is expected to stay indoors with their families and loved ones. However, anyone who wishes to step outdoors for any reason at all must wear a face mask. Anyone who violates this directive stands a chance of arrest and prosecution.”

He urged Anambra citizens not to panic over the virus, saying that, it did not take the state by surprise.

“We are adequately prepared to handle the situation. We have trained enough manpower on how to handle Covid-19 cases and our Protective Care Centers are among the best in the country at the moment.

“On the strength of this, I urge you to stand strong in prayer and faith. We shall flatten the curve on this case to prevent further spread of the virus,” the Governor assured.

Meanwhile, Nigeria currently have 305 cases of coronavirus. While 58 patients have recovered, seven persons have died from the disease.

You may be interested

For How Long Is My Motor Insurance Policy Valid?
Business
5 shares74 views
Business
5 shares74 views

For How Long Is My Motor Insurance Policy Valid?

Webby - September 12, 2022

When purchasing auto insurance, you can tailor many aspects, including the types of coverage you select, the amount of your…

Adamu’s letter to Tinubu is APC-NWC’s position, officials insist
News
25 views
News
25 views

Adamu’s letter to Tinubu is APC-NWC’s position, officials insist

Webby - September 29, 2022

By Omeiza Ajayi, AbujaAn official of the All Progressives Congress, APC, has insisted that the letter said to have been…

JUST IN: NECO releases 2022 SSCE results, records 60% pass
News
7 views
News
7 views

JUST IN: NECO releases 2022 SSCE results, records 60% pass

Webby - September 29, 2022

The National Examinations Council (NECO) on Thursday released the results of the internal diet of the 2022 Senior School Certificate…

NECO releases SSCE results, says 70% passed Maths, English
News
2 views
News
2 views

NECO releases SSCE results, says 70% passed Maths, English

Webby - September 29, 2022

The National Examinations Council (NECO), said over 70 per cent of candidates who sat for the 2022 Senior Secondary Certificate…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.