The Supreme Court has dismissed an appeal by the family of Sani Abacha seeking to stop the Federal Government from reopening criminal forfeiture proceedings against the former head of state.
Delivering judgment on Friday, the apex court, led by Emmanuel Agim, upheld the judgments of both the Federal High Court and the Court of Appeal.
Both courts had earlier endorsed the power of the Federal Government to reopen criminal forfeiture proceedings against the family.
The court dismissed the suit for lack of merit and substance.
The appeal marked: SC/641/2013 was filed by Mohammed, the eldest surviving son of Abacha, and his brother, Abba.
The probe by the government is targeted at family members over their alleged complicity in looting the nation’s treasury during Abacha’s administration.
Listed as respondents are the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF), the Inspector-General of Ppolice (IGP), DCP P. Y. Hana (Chairman, Special Investigation Panel), the National Security Adviser (NSA), and Sonja Nachbaur of the Principality of Liechtenstein.
You may be interested
Australian police seize 130kg of meth hidden in bathroom tilesWebby - February 9, 2023
Three men have been charged in Australia for allegedly importing 130 kilograms of methylamphetamine hidden in paraffin wax, police said…
AbdulRazaq approves palliative for vulnerable groups to cushion fuel, currency scarcityWebby - February 9, 2023
Gov. AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq has approved palliative for vulnerable groups in Kwara to cushion the effect of fuel and currency scarcity.…
Election: Imumolen tasks Tinubu, Atiku, Obi to step down for youthsWebby - February 9, 2023
Spread the loveMr Christopher Imumolen, the Presidential Candidate of Accord Party, said Tinubu, Atiku and Obi all served Nigeria as…