Court Orders Ex-councillor to Pay Woman N4million For Assaulting And Forcing Her to Walk N#ked in Akwa Ibom (Photo)

January 7, 2022
2 Views

The ex-councillor assaulted the woman, forcing her to walk n#ked in the community

A former councilor in the Akwa Ibom state, Uduak Nseobot, and his wife, Aniedi have been given an order by a High Court in the state.

The duo have been ordered by Justice Edem Akpan of a high court in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State to pay N4million for assaulting and stripping a woman, Iniubong Essien, n#ked in public. The court also ordered that they pay an additional N200,000 to the woman to cover the cost of litigation.

Sahara Reporters reports that Nseobot had sometime in November 2018 when he was still in office, abducted the victim in Uyo and drove her to Ibiono Ibom Local Government Area of the state, about 27 minutes drive, where he and his wife assaulted and publicly stripped her. They had reportedly accused her of stealing their money, which they claimed was “sprayed” on them at their wedding ceremony.

The victim had her body painted with charcoal and a rope tied around her waist while she was forced to dance n#ked before some community people. 

Delivering judgment in the case, Justice Akpan, while delivering a verdict on Thursday January 6, said what Nseobot and his wife did to the woman was “totally condemnable”.

The judge added that the man’s action was a typical disregard Nigerian politicians have for citizens’ rights. He added that by their own affidavits, the man and his wife “admitted to committing the atrocities” and that they had no defense for what they did.

A Lagos-based lawyer, Inibehe Effiong, who had filed the fundamental rights enforcement suit on behalf of Ms. Essien, told newsmen that his client had been vindicated by the judgment.

“From the outset, the evidence was very compelling. What the former councillor did was quite outrageous. I think that is about one of the most grievous examples of human rights violations (in Nigeria).

We are going to enforce the judgment. If they go on appeal, we will be waiting for them.” he said

You may be interested

Olubadan vacant throne: Controversy resolved after Olubadan in council meet with Gov. Makinde
News
7 views
News
7 views

Olubadan vacant throne: Controversy resolved after Olubadan in council meet with Gov. Makinde

Webby - January 16, 2022

Spread the love The Osi Olubdan of Ibadanland, High Chief Rasidi Ladoja has said that all controversies surrounding the Chieftaincy…

Obi Cubana Offers Scholarship, Employment To Hawker Seen Giving Money To Inmates
Celebrities
6 views
Celebrities
6 views

Obi Cubana Offers Scholarship, Employment To Hawker Seen Giving Money To Inmates

Webby - January 16, 2022

Nigerian socialite, Obi Cubana has offered scholarship and employment to a Lagos hawker, Ekuma Jeremiah, who went viral for giving…

BREAKING: Former president confirmed dead
News
5 views
News
5 views

BREAKING: Former president confirmed dead

Webby - January 16, 2022

Ibrahim Boubcar Keita Ibrahim Boubcar Keita, died in a hospital this afternoon after being taken to the institution following a…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.