According to a report by Channels Television, some Nigerian soldiers of an unidentified battalion in Operation Lafiya Dole have protested their posting to a location in the Theatre of Operation.
The aggrieved soldiers at the Maimalari barracks besieged the headquarters of the Theatre Command in Borno State, shooting sporadically into the air on Thursday night following their redeployment.
They cited nonpayment of allowances and poor equipment as reasons for their rebellion.
Some of the soldiers who spoke under anonymity recall how a whole unit that went for reinforcement when Marte was captured last month, perished under the superior firepower of the enemy forces.
The Media Coordinator for Operation Lafiya Dole, Colonel Ado Isa, confirmed the incident.
While blaming the protest on the soldiers’ minor admin/welfare, he said the issues were promptly addressed.
This protest is coming on the heels of a statement made by the National Security Adviser (NSA), Babagana Monguno, that billions of naira meant for purchasing arms and ammunition could not be accounted for.
According to the NSA, the funds were released during the time of the last set of service chiefs but the current set could not explain the whereabouts of the funds or equipment.
No less than $1 billion was released for the procurement according to Monguno, a retired Major General.
You may be interested
Man stabs Chief Imam to death for allegedly sleeping with wifeWebby - April 14, 2021
Map of Niger StateA 35-year old man, Umaru Jibrin has stabbed the Chief Imam of Enagi town, in Edati Local…
Man kills Chief Imam for sleeping with wife in NigerWebby - April 14, 2021
A 35-year-old man, Umaru Jibrin, has stabbed the Chief Imam of Enagi town in Niger state, Alhaji Attahiru Alhassan, to…
We’re no longer safe in Ogun, says NMA as doctors, nurses begin strikeWebby - April 14, 2021
[unable to retrieve full-text content]