Parents knocks Kaduna, issues 48-hour ultimatum over 39 abducted students

March 23, 2021
32 Views

PARENTS of the abducted students of the Federal College of Forestry Mechanization, Mando in the Igabi Local Government Area of Kaduna State have handed down a 48-hour ultimatum for the state and federal governments to rescue their children.

This was just as the parents, in tears, appealed to the United Nations, Nigerian Bar Association, Academic Staff Union of Universities and well meaning Nigerians as well as world leaders to prevail on both the state and federal governments to ensure the speedy rescue of their children from the bandits.

On Thursday night, March 11, 2020, bandits in large numbers invaded the said college and kidnapped over 30 students of the institute.

A viral video was released on Saturday where the students were seen crying and appealing to the government to pay the N500m demanded by the bandits as ransom for their release.

However, while addressing a press conference on Monday, the parents said neither the school authority nor the governments had briefed them of efforts to rescue their children.

According to them, the silence of the authorities concerned are longer acceptable, hence the 48-hour ultimatum to them to rescue their children.

The parents also bemoaned the lacklustre attitude of the governments over the plights of the children abducted 12 days ago by some bandits in the college.

They questioned the rationale behind governments’ lack of interest in rescuing their children who were half nude during the attack.

The parents recalled how various governments acted swiftly when a similar incident happened in Zamfara, Katsina and Niger states, asking why that of Kaduna State was different.

Leader of the parents of the 39 abducted students, Mr. Friday Sani, who read out the text of the press conference to newsmen, said, “Not a single one of the 39 abducted students has been rescued. We have put our trust in the government and school authority to rescue the students in good time and safely, but that has not happened.

“We are by this press conference demanding that the government rescues our children by all means and within 48 hours so that the process of their rehabilitation can commence because the longer they stay in captivity, the worse-off.”

Meanwhile, the parents of the 39 abducted student on Monday took to the streets to protest the abduction of their children and their continued stay in bandits’ den.

The parents, during their protest, blocked Mando expressway leading to the Kaduna International Airport and the Nigerian Defence Academy, demanding that both the state and federal governments should facilitate the speedy release of their children from the kidnappers’ den.

They also blocked the link road leading to the new Kaduna Train Station at Rigasa, also in Igabi LG of the state.

Copyright PUNCH.

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.

Contact: [email protected]

You may be interested

Hajj: NAHCON transports 29,128 pilgrims, 920 officials in 73 flights
News
2 views
News
2 views

Hajj: NAHCON transports 29,128 pilgrims, 920 officials in 73 flights

Webby - July 5, 2022

The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) says it has so far transported 29,128 pilgrims and 920 officials in 73…

IPOB to Kwankwaso: We’re disciplined, do not speak from both sides of mouth
News
3 views
News
3 views

IPOB to Kwankwaso: We’re disciplined, do not speak from both sides of mouth

Webby - July 5, 2022

IPOBBy Chimaobi NwaiwuThe Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Tuesday replied former Governor Rabiu Kwankwaso of Kano State, asking him to…

BREAKING: Two Injured As Bandits Attack President Buhari’s Convoy In Katsina
News
5 views
News
5 views

BREAKING: Two Injured As Bandits Attack President Buhari’s Convoy In Katsina

Webby - July 5, 2022

In anticipation of his trip to Daura, Katsina State for Sallah celebrations, President Muhammadu Buhari’s advance convoy came under fire…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.