Russian authorities are suing five social media platforms for allegedly failing to delete posts urging children to take part in illegal protests, the Interfax news agency cited a Moscow court as saying on Tuesday.
Twitter, Google, Facebook each have three cases against them, with each violation punishable by a fine of up to 4 million roubles (around 54,000 dollars), and cases have also been filed against Tiktok and Telegram, the report said.
The cases were opened after protests nationwide over last month’s jailing of Alexei Navalny, a prominent critic of President Vladimir Putin.
Navalny and his supporters say his 30-month sentence, for alleged parole violations related to an embezzlement case, was trumped up for political reasons, something the authorities deny.
Google declined to comment on the Interfax report. Facebook, Twitter, Tiktok and Telegram did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
The cases against Google, Facebook and Twitter will be heard on April 2, the agency said.
You may be interested
Photo Of Two Men Nabbed For Robbing Lagos Residents With Fake PistolWebby - April 15, 2021
It was gathered that the suspects, while conveying the stolen items to a destination in the state, were accosted by…
“There’s Hope For The Chibok Girls’ Release” -Presidency Assures NigeriansWebby - April 15, 2021
President Muhammadu Buhari The Presidency has assured the families of the abducted Chibok girls that it is doing its best…
Man Shows The Fish Hook He Found In The Soup He Was Served at a Restaurant (Photos)Webby - April 15, 2021
ChubbyChinanu Emeka Reuben A Nigerian man has urged people to be very careful when eating outside after he found a…