#EndSARS: Nigerian Govt Kicks Against Protesters, Takes Over Bank Accounts

November 6, 2020
55 Views

The Federal High Court in Abuja has recently permitted the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to take over the accounts of 20 alleged sponsors and an organisation linked to the #EndSARS protest.

Justice Ahmed Mohammed granted the permission which was filed by the CBN on October 20.

The court order was directed to the head offices of Access Bank, Fidelity Bank, First Bank Nigeria, Guaranty Trust Bank, United Bank of Africa, and Zenith Bank.

The court ordered the banks to immediately freeze all transactions on the 20 accounts on the list annexed to the CBN’s application as Exhibit A and all other bank accounts of the defendants and respondents for a period of 6 months while waiting for the result of ongoing investigation and inquiry being conducted by the Central Bank of Nigeria.

Some of the affected individuals include Bolatito Racheal Oduala, Chima David Ibebunjoh, Mary Doose Kpengwa, Saadat Temitope Bibi, Bassey Victor Israel, Wisdom Busaosowo Obi, Nicholas Ikhalea Osazele, Ebere Idibie, Akintomide Lanre Yusuf, Uhuo Ezenwanyi Promise and Mosopefoluwa Odeseye.

Others are Adegoke Pamilerin Yusif. Umoh Grace Ekanem, Babatunde Victor Segun, Mulu Louis Teghenan, Mary Oshifowora, Winifred Akpevweoghene Jacob, Victor Solomon, Idunu A. Williams, and Gatefield Nigeria Limited.

It could be recalled that, The #EndSARS campaigns dominated newspaper headlines last month when young Nigerians came out to demand the abolition of a notorious police unit, SARS.

The protests, which started peacefully, turned violent after a clampdown on protesters by security agents and hoodlums.

In the wake of the protests that rocked many cities across the country, many Nigerians – including protesters and policemen – were killed.

Similarly, businesses and public property were destroyed by hoodlums across states and cities.

In Lagos, Oyo and some other parts of the country, police stations were razed and vehicles belonging to the Nigerian police were vandalised.

The federal government has repeatedly said it recognised that the demands of the protesters were genuine and it has met some of the demands.

The government has, however, now decided to go after some of the key leaders of the protest.

Earlier this week, one of the leaders of the protest, a lawyer, was barred from travelling abroad on a scheduled visit and had her passport seized.

You may be interested

Expert reveals how you can improve your baby’s brilliance in first 1000 days
Health
Health

Expert reveals how you can improve your baby’s brilliance in first 1000 days

Webby - January 29, 2022

Spread the loveA Kaduna-based nutritionist, Mrs Jane Gwani, says proper nutrition in the first 1,000 days of life is key…

Tinubu Denies Travelling For Medical Treatment In UK, Says He Went For Meeting Abroad
News
News

Tinubu Denies Travelling For Medical Treatment In UK, Says He Went For Meeting Abroad

Webby - January 29, 2022

The National Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Tinubu has denied reports that he traveled to seek medical…

$20m Suit: Chris Brown Speaks Amid R*pe Allegations
News
5 views
News
5 views

$20m Suit: Chris Brown Speaks Amid R*pe Allegations

Webby - January 29, 2022

 Chris Brown, the popular American singer, has spoken out amid rape allegations levelled against him, as revealed by court documents…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.