#EndSARS: Lagos Protesters Shut Third Mainland Bridge, Hold Candlelight Procession

October 17, 2020
74 Views

Candlelight procession

Serious gridlock was recorded on the Third Mainland Bridge on Friday after defient youths took over the area.

The youths were protesting against police brutality and partially shut the Iyana-Oworo-Oworonshoki section of the bridge.

The PUNCH gathered that the #EndSARS protesters had arrived at the bridge a few minutes to 06pm.

Apart from the gridlock, many passengers were stranded.

Also, the protesters also blocked the Berger section of the Long Bridge linking Lagos Ibadan-Ibadan Expressway.

A commuter told our correspondent that the protesters’ action led road users to drive against traffic.

“We had to pass one way because of the protesters. There was a serious gridlock. I spent almost two hours on the same spot,” the commuter said.

Also, the protesters held a candlelight procession for victims of police brutality in the country.

The candlelight procession held at Lekki toll gate and Alausa.

It was learnt that the procession held in Abuja and other parts of Nigeria.

Earlier, the global rights group, Amnesty International, said 10 protesters have been killed by the Nigeria Police Force since the #EndSARS demonstrations began last Thursday.

Amnesty said this in a tweet on Monday.

It said, “So far, Nigerian police have killed at least 10 people since the start of protests against callous operations of SARS.”

Policemen in the Ogbomosho town of Oyo State on Saturday killed a youth, Isiaq Jimoh, who was said not to be part of the protest.

Also, a passerby-by was killed in Lagos on Monday.

On Friday, at least two people died when armed men attacked protesters in Benin, Edo State.

Meanwhile, the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), had promised that all those responsible for the misconduct or wrongful acts by the Special Anti-Robbery Squad will be brought to justice

The president stated this on Monday in Abuja at the launch of the Presidential Youth Empowerment Scheme, aimed at creating 774,000 jobs across the Local Government Areas in the country.

Buhari also said the disbandment of SARS, was the first step to extensive police reforms by his regime.

He said, ”I will like to use this opportunity to say a word on the recent genuine concerns and agitations by Nigerians about the excessive use of force and in some cases extra-judicial killings and wrongful conduct of the men of the Nigerian Police Force.

”The disbanding of SARS is only the first step in our commitment to extensive police reforms in order to ensure that the primary duty of the police and other law enforcement agencies remains the protection of lives and livelihood of our people.”

You may be interested

Governors condole with Abiodun, Ogun over ex-ING head’s demise
News
News

Governors condole with Abiodun, Ogun over ex-ING head’s demise

Webby - January 12, 2022

Governors across the country yesterday condoled with their Ogun State counterpart, Prince Dapo Abiodun, on the death former Head of…

Umahi meets Buhari, declares 2023 presidential ambition
News
2 views
News
2 views

Umahi meets Buhari, declares 2023 presidential ambition

Webby - January 11, 2022

Ebonyi State Governor, Dave Umahi, has informed the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), of his intention to contest the…

‘Super Eagles Are My Team In 2021 AFCON’ –England Legend, Lineker
Sports
6 views
Sports
6 views

‘Super Eagles Are My Team In 2021 AFCON’ –England Legend, Lineker

Webby - January 11, 2022

Legendary England striker Gary Lineker says he has adopted the Super Eagles of Nigeria as his team at this year’s…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.