N4bn bribe: Presidency backs Osinbajo, blames fake news peddlers
The Presidency has blamed fake news peddlers for the controversial allegation that Vice President Yemi Osinbajo had demanded the release of the sum of N4bn out of the N39bn that was recovered from alleged looters by the former acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission [EFCC], Ibrahim Magu.
Recall that the news space had been agog with the news that the embattled acting Chairman of the EFCC, Ibrahim Magu, following his arrest had implicated Osinbajo on the money.
But the office of the Vice President had reacted to the allegation, describing it as false and baseless.
The statement by the Presidency on Thursday, complained about the recent rise in people being paid to “peddle blatant falsehoods” against the Vice President and says Osinbajo “will not be distracted by these obvious campaigns of lies and calumny”.
The statement added that the online publications “being criminally defamatory in nature” have been referred to law enforcement agencies for investigation.
Ibrahim Magu was relieved of his duties this week, after a probe was conducted on his activities as Acting Chairman of the nation’s anti-graft agency. He has since been replaced with Mohammed Umar.
You may be interested
Lagos closes 3 COVID-19 isolation centresWebby - August 2, 2020
<!-- Lagos COVID-19 isolation centre in Yaba: 3 centres being shut in the state --> Lagos COVID-19 isolation centre in…
Commotion As Fire Guts Foam Market In Mushin, Lagos (Photos)Webby - August 2, 2020
The incident happened around 1pm at 16, Ladipo Street in Mushin, said Spokesperson for the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency,…
Breaking: Nigeria records massive drop in Coronavirus cases, Abuja leads againWebby - August 2, 2020
<!-- Nigeria records drop in coronavirus infections --> Nigeria records drop in coronavirus infections By Kazeem Ugbodaga Nigeria has recorded…