Keyamo speaks on face-off with NASS members
<!– Festus Keyamo: says NASS Committee cannot stop the selection process of 774,000 Nigerians for short term jobs –>
Minister of state for Labour, Festus Keyamo has reacted to the purported suspension by a National Assembly of the committees saddled with the selection process of 774,000 beneficiaries of temporary jobs promised by President Buhari.
He said the NASS joint committee on labour lacks the power it arrogated to itself and asked members of the selection committees nationwide to ignore the stop-work directive.
Keyamo who was reportedly ordered out of a meeting of the NASS joint committee on Labour, gave a different narrative of what truly transpired.
He said contrary to another variant of the report, he didn’t walk out on members of the committee.
Read Keyamo’s full statement issued 30 June:
Today, in obedience to their invitation, I appeared before the Joint Committees on Labour of both the Senate and the House. The Distinguished Senators and Honourable Members sought to be briefed on the implementation of the Special Public Works Programme so far.
However, there was a misunderstanding between us when they questioned why I did not privately submit the program to them for vetting before taking certain steps. They suggested that they ought to have an input on how the programme should be implemented. In other words, they sought to control the programme as to who gets what, where and how.
However, I insisted that I could not surrender the programme to their control since their powers under the constitution does not extend to that. They insisted on a closed door session.
At this point, I remarked that it was only fair for me to respond to their position before the press, since their own position was also made public. In any case, I remarked that the Nigerian people deserve to know the details of the execution of this all-important programme.
I was then asked to apologize for insisting on a public interaction and I said there was nothing to apologize about, because their powers to expose corruption provided for in section 88 of the Constitution cannot be exercised in private. As such, there was no need to apologize by insisting on a Constitutional provision. Even their Rules that may provide for private hearings on public matters cannot override the provisions of the Constitution. I was then permitted to leave. I took a bow and left. I NEVER walked out on the respected Committees as they may want to bend the narrative.
After I left, I understand that the Joint Committees purportedly suspended the work of the Selection Committees nationwide until they decide how the programme should be run and who should be in those Committees. My opinion is that it is tantamount to challenging the powers of Mr. President.
I regret to say that their powers under section 88 of the 1999 Constitution is only limited to investigations, but NOT TO GIVE ANY DIRECTIVE TO THE EXECUTIVE.
A Committee or Committees of both Houses do not even have powers to pass binding Resolutions. They can only make recommendations to Plenary. In this case, even Plenary CANNOT give DIRECTIVES to the Executive.
All my life, I have fought for good governance and constitutional democracy. I will not come into government and be intimidated to abandon those principles. I will rather leave this assignment, if Mr. President so directs than compromise the jobs meant for ordinary Nigerians who have no Godfathers or who are not affiliated to any political party.
I therefore, respectfully further direct all the Committees set up nationwide made up of CAN, NSCIA, NURTW, Market Women, CSOS, Youth Organisations, respected traditional rulers, etc to proceed with their work unhindered. Only Mr. President can stop their work.
You may be interested
Biafra National Guard Issues Stern Warning To Civil Biafran Groups Across BiafraWebby - August 9, 2020
Biafran National Guard is aware of an existing rogue website ‘www.biafran.org’ currently extorting the people of Biafra; the platform is…
APC Flags-Off Governorship Campaign, Vows To Retake EdoWebby - August 9, 2020
Buoyed by the cheering crowd at the flag-off of the campaign by the Edo State governorship candidate of the All…
2023 Presidency: I Won’t Support A Northerner, Says Governor El-RufaiWebby - August 9, 2020
Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has said he would not support a northern candidate in the next Presidential election. Speaking…