The Ballon d’Or for the world’s best players will not be awarded in 2020 due to the coronavirus outbreak.
Organiser of the award France Football made the announcement in a statement released on their official website on Monday.
They posited that the cancellation of this year’s award was as a result of “lack of sufficient fair conditions” caused by Covid-19.
France Football said awarding a prize in a “crippled” year would “not be worthy” of their history.
“We did not want to put an indelible asterisk on the prize list like ‘trophy won in exceptional circumstances due to the Covid-19 health crisis’.
“Protecting the credibility and legitimacy of such an award also means ensuring its flawlessness over time.”
The Ballon d’Or prize has been awarded by France Football every year since 1956.
Barcelona’s Lionel Messi won the men’s prize last year, with USA forward Megan Rapinoe claiming the women’s trophy.
England’s Stanley Matthews was the first winner of the award when it was the European Footballer of the Year.
It was only awarded to European players until 1995, when it expanded to become open for any player at a European club. From 2007 it opened up to the rest of the world.
The 30-player list of nominees is compiled by the editorial staff of the French magazine, with the winner voted for by journalists from around the world, with one representative per nation.
Argentina international Messi won the prize for a record sixth time last year.
Copyright © 2020 Completesports.com All rights reserved. The information contained in Completesports.com may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without the prior written authority of Completesports.com.
You may be interested
“78 In Enugu, 37 In Bauchi” – Nigeria Records 269 New COVID-19 Cases As Total Hits 158,506Webby - March 8, 2021
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has announced 269 new cases of coronavirus, bringing the total number of infections…
Attack: FAAN won’t shut down Kaduna Airport —MDWebby - March 7, 2021
The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria says it will not shut down the Kaduna International Airport, in spite of Saturday’s…