NFF Adopts PPG, New League Season To Start September/October
Following resolutions passed at an online meeting of the NFF Football Committee, which had in attendance the Chairpersons of all the National Leagues and the President of the Nigeria Referees Association, the Executive Committee of the NFF has, after a holistic consideration of all the issues affecting the leagues (including the status of the leagues before the advent of the COVID-19 pandemic), the impact of the pandemic-induced disruptions, the health, safety and movement restrictive measures in the country, the potential protocols for football resumption, the costs, the financial status of the leagues and clubs, CAF calendar and resolutions of the various leagues as conveyed to the NFF, approved the following:
– The league ends at current Matchday 25 and the Points Per Game (PPG) table will be used to rank the teams in order to ensure sporting merit and sporting fairness.
– The names of the Top 3 (three) clubs on the NPFL final PPG table as at Matchday 25 shall be submitted to CAF to represent Nigeria in the 2020/2021 CAF Inter – Club competitions (2 slots for CAF Champions League and 1 Slot for CAF Confederation Cup).
– There will be no promotion to, or relegation from, NPFL for the 2019/2020 season.
– The NPFL 2020/2021 season will start from September/October 2020 and end May 2021 subject to the full reopening of the country and the approval of the health authorities.
2. The NNL
– The NNL 2019/2020 season which is at Match day 3 – 5 and has been on break since December 17, 2019 is cancelled, null and void.
– There will be no promotion to, or relegation, from NNL.
– The NNL 2020/2021 season will start from September/October 2020 and end May 2021 subject to the full reopening of the country and the approval of the health authorities.
– The NFF will work with the NNL, the participating clubs and other stakeholders to ensure a successful fresh start from September/October 2020. This will include a review of the NNL structure to optimize its development.
– The yet-to-commence NWFL 2019/2020 season is aborted.
– The NWFL 2020/2021 to start from September/October 2020 and end May 2021 subject to the full reopening of the country and the approval of the health authorities.
– The yet to commence NLO 2019/2020 Season aborted.
– There will be no promotion to or relegation from NLO.
Read Also: Makinwa Urges Finidi George To Coach In The NPFL
– The NLO 2020/2021 season will start from September/October 2020 to end May 2021 subject to the full reopening of the country and the approval of the health authorities.
5. AITEO CUP
– The AITEO Cup 2019/2020 which had only commenced at the State level is aborted.
– The 2019 AITEO Cup Winners to be presented to CAF for the 2020/2021 CAF Inter-Club competition (Nigeria’s 2nd slot in the CAF Confederation Cup), reserved for Federation Cup winners.
– The AITEO CUP 2020/2021 season to start from September/October 2020 to end May 2021 subject to the full reopening of the country and the approval of the health authorities.
. All dates for the 2020/2021season to start are subject to the directives of the Federal Government in line with COVID-19 protocols.
. In addition, the full enforcement of licensing regulations and financial controls for the NPFL will commence from the 2020/2021 season. All clubs are required to comply, failing which they will be barred from participating.
The Nigeria Football Federation will formally take the resolutions to the next General Meeting of its Congress for ratification. In the meantime, these resolutions have been formally communicated to the Federal Ministry of Youth & Social Development.
Copyright © 2020 Completesports.com All rights reserved. The information contained in Completesports.com may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without the prior written authority of Completesports.com.
You may be interested
Trending On Complete Sports 05.08.2020Webby - August 5, 2020
This video showcases the trending stories making the rounds during the weekend on Complete Sports, they are the Editors “Pick…
No new music till further notice – MayorkunWebby - August 5, 2020
<!-- Mayorkun --> Mayorkun Nigerian singer-songwriter Mayowa Emmanuel, known professionally as Mayorkun, said no song should be expected from him…
Just IN: Ghana jails Nigerian for voter ID fraud, five Nigeriens arrestedWebby - August 5, 2020
<!-- Dr Bossman Eric Asare, deputy chairman of Electoral Commission of Ghana: reveals Nigerian prosecuted for registration fraud --> Dr…