Search Site: OnlineNigeria

Close






Community leaders want deposed monarch banished

Posted by By TUNDE RAHEEM, Akure on 2008/05/12 | Views: 746 |

Community leaders want deposed monarch banished


Community leaders in Ugbo, Ilaje Local Government Area of Ondo State, have said that peace could only return to the area if the deposed monarch, Prince Adebanjo Mafimisebi, vacates the palace in Ode Ugbo, which is the ancestral palace of Ugbo people.

Community leaders in Ugbo, Ilaje Local Government Area of Ondo State, have said that peace could only return to the area if the deposed monarch, Prince Adebanjo Mafimisebi, vacates the palace in Ode Ugbo, which is the ancestral palace of Ugbo people.

One of the leaders, who was cross-examined at the Judicial Commission of Inquiry set up by the state government to look into the crisis in Ugbo/Ugbonla, Prince Adeboye Omoderun, said the deposed Olugbo should be banished from Ugbo.

Prince Omoderun, who submitted memorandum on behalf of Princes of Agbedun royal family of Ojadele ruling house, was led in evidence-in-chief by Chief Sola Ebiseni.
During his presentation, Omederun said the Chairman of Obat Oil, Prince Obateru Akinruntan, was qualified to be the Olugbo because he was a descendant of Okoroajiga through the male line.
He also alleged that the attack on Akinruntan in Ugbonla on February 23, 2008 was an attempt to eliminate him as the rescuer of all the children of Ojadele from the domination of the throne by Mafimisebi for over one century.

The witness added that by the judgment of the apex court in the country, Mafimisebi was not qualified to return to the throne, adding that the Supreme Court had said the succession pattern in Ugbo kingdom was not from father to son.
The letter brought before the commission also showed clearly that the deposed Olugbo of Ugbo, Prince Mafimisebi, could not return to the thrown.

The state government had in a letter written by the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Yemi Alao, dated May 18, 2007 and addressed to the Deputy Governor, Otunba Omolade Oluwateru, said the provisions of the Chiefs Law of Ondo State 1991 did not permit the former Olugbo to be represented to contest.

The letter was tendered and admitted as exhibit QQ before the Justice Elijah Komolafe-led commission of enquiry set up by government to look into the crisis in Ugbo and Ugbonla.
The letter was also admitted by Prince Adeboye Omoderun, who was led in evidence-in-chief by Chief Sola Ebiseni.

The Supreme Court had on January 12, 2007 removed Mafimisebi as the Olugbo after reigning for 23 years, having been installed in 1984.
According to the letter, Section 7 of the Chiefs Law of Ondo State provides that when a candidate of a ruling house that had been appointed had his appointment annulled, such candidate could not contest the throne again.

Read Full Story Here.... :
Leave Comment Here :



Add Comment

* Required information
1000
Captcha Image

Comments (1)

Gravatar
New
Fay(Katy, Texas, US)says...

Actually translates to bravehearted.