The Federal LegislaturePost Comment The Federal Legislature Nigeria
The highest law-making body of the Federation is the National Assembly. The Assembly is made up of an upper House known as the Senate and a lower house known as the House of Representatives.
The Senate, is headed by a Senate President, who is supported by a Deputy Senate President. It consists of three members from each State of the Federation and one member from the Federal Capital Territory. Thus, the Senate has a total of 109 members. The House of Representatives is presided over by the Speaker of the House supported by a Deputy Speaker
The National Assembly has responsibility for making laws for the good governance of the Federation. Each of the Houses of the Assembly is made up of several specialised Committees whose work focus on aspects of national life. All members of the Assembly, in accordance with the Constitution, are required to sit for a minimum of 181 days in a year.
The Power of the National Assembly to make laws is exercised through bills passed by both the Senate and the House of Representatives, and assented to by the President. A bill may originate from either house of the Assembly but cannot become law until it has been passed by both Houses and assented to by the President.
When a bill from the Assembly is presented to the President for his assent, the Constitution stipulates that the President shall, within 30 days thereafter, signify that his assents or withholds assent. And if the President withholds his assent and the bill is again . passed by two-thirds majority in each House, such a bill becomes law, requiring no further presidential assent.
- The Structure of The Nigerian Government
- The Federal Executive
- The Judiciary
- The State Government
- The Local Government
These terms and conditions contain rules about posting comments. By submitting a comment, you are declaring that you agree with these rules:
- Although the administrator will attempt to moderate comments, it is impossible for every comment to have been moderated at any given time.
- You acknowledge that all comments express the views and opinions of the original author and not those of the administrator.
- You agree not to post any material which is knowingly false, obscene, hateful, threatening, harassing or invasive of a person's privacy.
- The administrator has the right to edit, move or remove any comment for any reason and without notice.
Failure to comply with these rules may result in being banned from further commenting.
These terms and conditions are subject to change at any time and without notice.